Sunday 4 March 2012

Sunday Recipe: White Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes

I came across this recipe on Pinterest this morning and had to share it with you. I've edited it quite a bit, changed the measurements a little, so that they are more logical and replaced the frosting for a raspberry buttercream frosting. I'll post both the links for the original recipes at the bottom, but I hope you enjoy my version!



Ingredients:

For the cakes:
1 3/4 cups plain flour
2tsp baking powder
150ml whole milk
1 - 2 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg whites (room temperature)
6tbsp softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
50ml sour cream
12 white chocolate truffles - I recommend Lindt ones.
 (I also recommend having around 15 truffles, so that there are spares to eat while you wait :)

For the topping:
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
12 ounces of frozen raspberries
1/2tsp fresh lemon juice
4 cups icing sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line your cupcake tray. 
2. Mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and vanilla. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. 
3. Take another bowl and beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy, before adding the sour cream and beating until smooth. Then add the dry ingredients, bit by bit, alternating with the milk mixture.
4. Whisk in 1/3 of the egg whites, then gently fold in the rest. 
5. Now it's time to spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases. I find using a ladle works best. Bake the cupcakes for 17 - 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean. 
6. Immediately after removing the cakes from the oven, carefully scoop out the top of the cupcake, making a hole about 2/3 deep. Press a truffle into the centre of each of the cupcakes, then put the lid back on top. This will keep the heat in and allow the truffle to melt. 
7. Remove the cupcakes from the tray and leave to cool for around 30 minutes. 

For the topping:
1. Cook the raspberries in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously until they break down into a sauce. Then pour the sauce through a strainer (I usually use a regular sieve), then return the seedless sauce to the pot and simmer until it reduces to a 1/4 cup of very concentrated raspberry sauce. Set aside to cool. 
2. When the raspberry sauce is room temperature, cream the butter before adding about 2 cups of sugar, the raspberry sauce and lemon juice. Mix until smooth before adding the rest of the sugar. If the mixture is too stiff, add a little room temperature milk. 
3. Take the little 'lids' off of the cupcakes and cut them in half. Carefully spread or pipe the icing over each of the cakes before placing the 'lids' back on top, inverted and upside down (for butterflies!). 
4. Decorate with white chocolate curls or chocolate buttons. 


I know that these aren't very Nordic. So make sure you eat them with some freshly-made coffee, take a hike in the forest to collect the raspberries yourself and make lots of Swedish Chef noises while you mix the ingredients! 

(recipes and pictures lovingly taken from here and here)

inspire nordic

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Those look amazing! I'll have to give them a try, I love baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with me making cupcakes is that I eat them. Can you describe Swedish Chef noises for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, here a brief message to let you know you've been tagged on my blog (Pouffia) for the 11 Things Questionnaire! Tag, you're it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've finally showed true gratitude to you for gifting me my award last week. So go over to my blog and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must give it a try!
    Total white cupcakes are so cool!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I think I've just gained 10lbs! To die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pinterest. These cupcakes sound amazingly yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. BTW, looking forward to following your blog on the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh my! :) This is a must try! <3

    Thank you for following! <3
    I love your blog! panda hug! >:)<

    ReplyDelete