Wednesday 21 March 2012

Påskekrim // Easter-crime


In March 1923, there was a huge advertising campaign in Norway, in which the book 'Bergenstoget Plyndret i Natt' (by Jonatan Jerv) was launched. This lead to the new tradition of spending the Easter holidays reading crime novels, a distinctly Norwegian tradition that is still observed today.

 I once read that the Scandinavians produce so much crime literature because of their ''criminally low crime rate''. I largely find this to be true. Jo Nesbø, in particular, manages to dream up all kinds of horrific ways to murder his characters and I think you'd have had to have lived in a cave for the last few years to have not heard of Stig Larsson. 

Today I decided to make the most of being in England and raided the local for some new books - something that seems to be really expensive in Norway. I came home with a couple more of Jo Nesbø's books, Nemesis & The Devil's Star. I will be spending my Easter holidays sitting cozily by the fire, drinking hot chocolate and being scared out of my mind. But at least I might feel a little more Norwegian :)


Have you ever read any of his novels? What are you reading at the moment?

(pictures lovingly taken from here & here)

inspire nordic

14 comments:

  1. I have never read any of his books. I may have to look into that. I am currently reading a crime novel called Plugged by coincidence. I had no clue this tradition existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend reading them, they're really compelling and don't take long to get through. They are so amazingly scary though, I'm such a baby when it comes to horror things!

      Delete
  2. The hot chocolate I can relate to :) Hotel Chocolate liquid chocolate is my luxury of choice. Highly recommended.

    For crime novels, I like golden age Agatha Christie and particularly Ngaio Marsh. I can only take small doses of Dorothy Sayers as I just don't love Lord Peter as much as she does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read any of those, I don't really read many crime novels, since I get too frightened! The Jo Nesbø books are particularly scary since they take place in Oslo so the streets and areas that are mentioned are often very close to where I live or places that I regularly go! It makes it so much creepier when you can imagine the scenes perfectly!

      Delete
  3. Oh thank-you so much for your lovely comment! I've followed you right back! :)

    I also love deer, they would have to be one of my favourite animals, alongside owls and zebras. :3

    That sounds like a lovely way to spend the Easter break. Hot chocolate is my ultimate winter beverage. I quite like crime novels, I'm starting to read A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle, I have not read it before but have heard it is quite good!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I haven't heard of that one. I'm still not sure if I like this genre, it's a bit scary! It's not like you can hide behind a cushion when it gets gory either :/

      Deer are the best :) One of my friends was talking about riding Zebras last night, I had no idea that was possible! xo

      Delete
  4. I too had never heard of this tradition, but anything involving couches and books, I'm a fan of :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything that involves an open fire and a chocolate related product has my 'two thumbs up' seal of approval!

    Love, love, love, the Dragon Tattoo series--it just grates on me that Hollywood has to do its usual, "we can do it better", routine. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!

      Did you watch the Swedish films? They were really good, I haven't seen the American versions but I've heard they were pretty good too :)

      Delete
  6. I'm reading Game of Thrones at the minute, it's taking ages for me to get through it because I never have time to read! There's something for you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should read 'The Belgariad' by David Eddings. A brilliant 5 book story with excellent characters. It's one of my fantasy reader corner stones. You won't be disappointed :)

    Kind regards

    Mark

    PS: hi, Nikki - didn't wish to seem rude and post without saying hello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hi :)

      I'll keep that in mind, I'm reading the Wheel of Time books at the moment, but I'll have a look for that one too. I have a habit of reading many books at the same time. It's busy inside my brain :)

      Delete
  8. I agree with Mark K. Anything that involves couches and good books....

    Nice to meet you. I am sending some people your way on Sat., 24 March. Check out my site for details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice too meet you too! I'll come and have a look now :)

      Delete