Tuesday 20 March 2012

Home Again

When I first began my love affair with Scandinavia, I could never wait to get out of horrible, rainy, grey England and into the beautiful snowy, forested mountains of Sweden and Norway. However, after living abroad in Norway for the last 8 months, I find myself frequently longing to return to England.
There doesn't seem to be anything in particular that I miss, but there is nothing like arriving back to your own home, taking a hot shower in your own bathroom and spreading out in your own, warm, cozy bed.

As our plane flew through the bright sunshine, I watched the higgledy-piggledy patchwork fields stretching out beneath me and smiled at it’s familiarity. I love my little flat in Oslo, but I know that I’m going to spend this evening wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa, sipping tea and laughing with my family. It’s funny how you never appreciate the tiny things until you have to miss them. And it’s funny how I have longed for England, when in a weeks time I will be longing for Norway.

I’m writing this from the (very rough and rocky) train that is travelling at highspeed through the English countryside. It’s pitch black outside so I can’t see anything, but I know when I get to my home I will be under a blanket of beautiful stars, since when you live in a small village, you are often blessed with clear skies.

What do you miss most about the place where you grew up? Would you ever consider moving to a different country? 


inspire nordic

11 comments:

  1. I grew up in a family that traveled a lot and loved it. Even so, I also remember how painful my longing for home became after about three months.

    We did uproot ourselves completely nearly ten years ago when we decided to leave London for North Yorkshire and have never regretted it, but I still occasionally dream about my childhood home and wake up nearly crying at the memory.

    Doesn't really answer your question, but did make me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feeling of coming home after a (long) trip. There are always the little things you tend to miss. For me it was not only my own bed, but also things like a bun filet Americain, which is a type of sausage you can spread.

    I would never consider moving to a different country. Well, I've considered it but I'd never do it. I'm very close with my family and I'd miss them too much. This attachment can be both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because we love eachother very much, get along well, and are supportive of eachother, and a curse because I'd probably never get to experience living in another country because of it.

    That said, I wouldn't mind having a second house at a vinyard in France, to visit for a couple of months during the Summer or Winter even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too spent some time living in Yorkshire, Maltby, to be precise, and the things I didn't realise that I had missed upon return visits were the most bizarre? The dual-language signs in Welch and English (not that I speak the mother tongue), and, at the time, Cardiff City Council buses, which were bright orange. After being used to the cream and brown buses of Rotherham, seeing those big orange buggers always put a smile on my face.

    I have, and would move abroad, but my wife is so close to her family it will never be. Maybe in the next life I'll get to travel more? Although, and here's a quick bit of randomness for you; at the age of 21 I hitch-hiked all the way down to Marseille by myself. It was a very interesting experience, and one I'll always remember with some fondness.

    One place I would love to visit would be Japan, and then the Scandinavian lands. After that, well, who knows? Perhaps I should start doing the lottery on a more regular basis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd be able to move to a different country, I love England too much! I would miss it a lot. I always look forward to returning home when I'm on holiday, because like you said, there's nothing like coming back to your own house and your own bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao Nikki!
    How your presentation went?

    Talking about your post, I am an "expert" in moving.. I lived the last 4 years in Switzerland and now recently moved to London.. and who knows if I will have to move again??... Next time I hope close to a seaside ^_^

    Of course I am missing my family, but they are always in my heart as I am in their ones :)

    Have a nice day
    xx
    L3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I could move out of Indiana, let alone the United States of America.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've moved quite a few times throughout the United States. Right now I'm living about 1,000 miles from home. I only get back there for a few days each summer, and I look forward to those days so much. I miss my family and the little town I grew up in. Although I like living in a large city now, there are things about small-town life that just can never be replicated here. I would love to move back home someday.

    To answer your other question, I would definitely love to visit another country, but I'm not sure I could live there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a military brat who grew up in about a dozen places, including a couple foreign countries. I don't really have a place I'd call home other than where I now live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nikky!
    thanks a lot for your visit and comment,
    i follow you !

    see you soon!

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohmygoodnessgracious!! i am envious of your travels in europe...i long to live in london!! if you move back there, want a visitor? ;)
    and i love this post. THANK YOU for the sweet award! you are so kind. xoxo

    ReplyDelete